This is a famous recipe from the state of Kerala, the rich aroma of coconut oil and the creamy texture from coconut and curd makes this dish heavenly. According to my experience, it is one of the most simple dish which can be made with the left out vegetable in our kitchen pantry. Aviyal is super healthy as it is made with lots of veggies. The vegetable choice is up to what you have, you can add any veggie which I have mentioned below, whatever is available you can use, rest you can skip.
Serves – 3
Vegetables – (Beans,carrot,white pumpkin, yellow pumpkin,potato,broad beans, taro root-seppankizhangu, green banana-vazhakkai,brinjal-eggplant,drumstick) – 3 cups
Grated Coconut – ½ cup (it can be increased or decreased as per taste)
Coconut oil – for seasoning(must)
Curry leaves – 1 spring
Mustard seed – ½ tsp
Hing – ½ tsp
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp(optional)
Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
Green chillies – 3(as per taste)
Salt – to taste
- Pressure Cook all the vegetables until they turn soft but not mushy, you can add a pinch of turmeric powder to it which is purely optional .
- In a mixer/ blender, grind the coconut, green chillies and cumin seeds by adding little water until smooth like a paste.
- Add the ground mixture, salt to the boiled vegetables and bring them to a boil on stove top.
- Once it blends together, turn off the stove and add 1 cup of thick curd to it and mix them all together.
- Take a tadka pan, add 2 tsp of coconut oil once the oil is hot,add the mustard seeds, a pinch of hing and curry leaves. Add this tempering to the aviyal.
- You can add more coconut oil too, it gives a nice flavor and aroma to it.
- Adding curd is optional , you can even skip that if you don’t like curd.
- Aviyal goes well with Adai( lentil crepe), rice or even with dosai.