Paruppu podi, paruppu means dhal and podi means powder in tamil. Its one of the comfort food which comes in handy when you are unable to cook anything. It is a healthy alternative which is very light and easy to digest. Paruppu podi with vatha kozhambu and sutta applam(Roasted Papad) is my favourite combination which tastes heavenly for dinner. Whenever I have left out vatha kozhambu from lunch, I have it for dinner with Paruppu podi sadam drizzled with little ghee. This recipe is super easy, you can adjust the measurements depending on your taste, there is no hard and fast rule that you have to follow my recipe exactly, afterall cooking is all about experimenting and improvising:)
Toor Dhal – ½ cup
Red chillies – 2
Jeera/Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
Peppercorns – ½ tsp
Hing – ½ tsp
Salt – to taste
- Heat a pan over medium heat and fry all the ingredients listed above except the hing and salt without adding any oil to it.
- Fry until the dhal turns golden brown and transfer the contents into a mixer and allow it to cool and then grind it into a fine powder by adding salt and hing powder.
Simple! Yummy paruppu podi is now ready!
- Red chillies can be replaced by peppercorns as well.
- Add a garlic pod to it when you grind, this gives a nice aroma and taste to the powder.
- We can even have this podi with dosa or idli.