Milagai podi or Idli Podi is a simple dish which is very aromatic and flavourful makes it a wonderful combination with idli or dosa. This has a great shelf life and the ingredients can be adjusted as per taste. This is usually mixed with sesame or coconut oil before serving.
Channa dhal – 1/2 cup
Urad dhal – 1 cup
Sesame Seeds – 1 tbs(Optional)
Red chillies – 10-15(as per the preferred spice level)
Hing – 1/4 tsp
Salt – to taste
1) Dry roast the channa dhal,urad dhal and the sesame seeds separately in a pan until they turn brown, keep the flame in medium and make sure not to burn the dhal.
2) Then roast the red chillies until they turn crisp.
3) Allow them to cool and then grind the dhals with salt, hing and red chillies into a coarse powder.
4) Finally add the roasted sesame seeds and pulse it few times. If you grind sesame seeds for a long time they ooze out oil which would affect the texture of the podi.
- The texture is supposed to be grainy and not very smooth.
- Variation can be done by adding garlic or even curry leaves to this powder.
- Sesame Seeds are purely optional but they give a nice aroma to this powder.
- Store it in an air tight container and always use a dry spoon.
- You can also sprinkle it on dhokla or on upma to add more taste.