Jeera rice or cumin rice is an easy meal which can be prepared in a jiffy. It is a comfort food made with just a few ingredients and it can be had at any part of the day as it is very light and digested pretty easily. Cumin seeds are very healthy as they are rich in dietary fiber and minerals, they also aid in easy digestion of food. So try to incorporate cumin seeds as much as you can in your diet, they taste really good to eat as such:) lets get started with the preparation of jeera rice.
Basmati rice – 1 cup
Clarified butter or ghee – 1/2 tbsp
Jeera or cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Green chillies – 1 ( optional)
1) Wash the basmati rice in water until the water runs clean and soak them for half an hour.
2) Drain the rice using a colander and the water needs to drain completely.
3) Heat a big kadai or sauce pan which comes with a lid, add the ghee to it and allow it to melt.
4) Once the ghee is hot, add cumin seeds to it and allow them to splutter, make sure the flame is in medium,if not, the cumin seed would get burnt.
5) Now add the slit green chillies and sauté them for 5 secs, then add the rice and fry them in low flame for 5 mins.
6) Add 2 cups of water and required salt to the rice mixture and bring it to a rolling boil.
7) Close it with a lid and keep the flame at low for the rice to get cooked slowly.
8) After 8 mins, open the lid and fork it up so that the rice gets fluffy and doesn’t stick together, switch off the flame and close the lid back again and let the steam do the remaining cooking:)
1) You can make this dish with any rice variety like basmati , regular white rice or even with brown rice.
2) I like the rich flavour of cumin so I haven’t added any garam masala but you can add bay leaves or cloves if you want.
3) Do not replace ghee with oil as it is a key ingredient and adds nice aroma and texture to the rice.
Do try this recipe and let me know your comments.