In South Indian cooking, any dish is incomplete without adding curry leaves to it. What makes these simple leaf so important? Its there medicinal value, which when included in our diet in small quantities on a daily basis helps in good digestion, controls diabetes and enhances hair growth. In the place where I live, It s often hard to get curry leaves all the time, so an easy alternative is to make this curry leaf powder and store it and use it wherever required as a replacement for curry leaves.
How to prepare this powder?
Curry leaves – 20 springs
Salt – To Taste
Hing Powder – a pinch
Red Chillies – 4
- Lightly heat a pan and toss in the leaves and fry them until they turn crisp, traditional way is sun- drying the leaves for few days but in the place where we reside it s hard to see the sun so it s better to pan fry.
- Fry red chillies until they are crisp as well.
- Grind the curry leaves, red chillies along with hing powder and salt into a coarse powder.
- Store this powder in a dry, air-tight containers and they stay good as long as 6 months 🙂
- Mix this with buttermilk and a healthy drink is ready which is good for digestion.
- You can mix this powder with rice and add some gingely oil for a great taste.