On lazy sunday mornings, when I dont feel like cooking anything or whenever I feel like having rice at night, I will make this thogayal with hot rice and have it with a few drops of ghee, its the best comfort food that we can make in a jiffy. This can be made as spicy as we like and can be stored for 2 weeks in refrigerator. Lets get started with this simple recipe:
Red onion – 2 (Peeled and chopped coarsely)
Tamarind – a small piece
Salt – As per taste
Oil – 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
Urad Dhal – 1 tsp
Red chillies – 2(broken into pieces as per taste)
- Heat a kadai over medium flame, add 2 tbsp of oil to it.
- Once the oil is hot, add the items mentioned under seasoning one after the other.
- When the dhal turns brwon slightly, add in the onion and saute it until it turns pink.
- Allow it to cool then add it to a blender along with a piece of tamarind and salt, grind it into a paste.
- Serve it with hot rice or dosa or idli.
- Any variety of onion can be used for this recipe but I personally prefer red onion.
- Red chillies and tamarind can be adjusted as per taste.