This is a simple South Indian curry which goes well with sambar or any other gravy and is a must in our wedding feasts:) Since Cabbage is rich in fiber it has to be included adequately in our diet and I need not have to mention the health benefits of green peas so I try to add them where ever possible so here goes my recipe for cabbage peas stir fry.
White or green or purple Cabbage – 1 cup (chopped finely or shredded)
Fresh or frozen peas – 1/ 2 cup
Coconut – 1/ 4 cup
Salt – to taste
For tempering :
Oil – 1 tsp
mustard seeds – 1 tsp
urad dhal – 1 tsp
red chillies – 2 (broken into pieces)
Hing powder – 1/ 4 tsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Heat a wide bottom kadai over medium heat and add a tsp of oil to it.
- Once the oil gets hot, add the ingredients mentioned under ” tempering ” one after the other and fry it for 30 secs or until the urad dhal gets slightly coloured.
- Then add the cabbage and mix it well, sprinkle little water and close it with a lid or a plate. Mix it every 2 mins until the cabbage is soft.
- If you are using frozen peas you can add it after the cabbage gets cooked or if you are using fresh peas then add it with cabbage and allow it to get cooked.
- Finally add the coconut and salt, mix them all together and cook for 5 mins.
- Serve it hot with rice, sambhar or roti.