Have left over idli s or ls your idli batter really sour????Don’t worry, I have a quick fix for it, make upma out of it. Yes! Idli upma is so simple and yummy that you can have it as such without the need for anything on the side like chutney or sambar as it tastes so good. It needs just the basic ingredients available at home and can be made in a jiffy.I always make more number of idli’s for dinner so that I can have this upma for breakfast. You can store these in the refrigerator for two days also and microwave them for a minute when you are ready to serve.
Home made idli – 5 ( broken/ mashed into tiny pieces or bite size pieces)
Onion – 1 ( medium )
Green chillies – 1 ( sliced thinly)
Ground nut – handful( roasted) – optional
Salt – to taste
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Urad dhal – 1 tsp
Red chillies – 1 ( broken into pieces )
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Hing powder – 1/8 tsp
1. Heat a thick bottomed wide kadai over medium flame, add a tbsp of oil into it.
2. Once the oil gets hot, add mustard seeds and allow them to splutter
3. Then add urad dhal, curry leaves and hing powder, sauté until the dhal gets slightly brown
4. Now add the green chillies and sauté them for few seconds.
5. Add onions, sprinkle little salt over them, this makes the onions to cook quickly.
6. Sauté the onions until they turn translucent and pink
7. Now add the turmeric powder, ground nuts( optional) and the idli pieces, toss them all nicely until the pieces get well incorporated.
8. Simmer the flame and allow the upma to get cooked by tossing now and then for few mins until they look bright yellow and smells heavenly 🙂
9. Serve the upma warm as a evening snack or as a breakfast with a glass of warm milk or hot steaming filter coffee on the side.