Happy Dasara/Navaratri Friends
Finally I am back to blogging after a break, to share my recipes with all friends out there who visits my blog regularly and show their support and appreciation. Since the festival season has just begun I thought of posting a very simple sweet recipe called “RAVA LADOO” which I hope everyone is familiar with. Rava is the cream of wheat and ladoo is just the round shape, this can be made ahead of time and also has a long shelf life which makes it ideal for distributing to family and friends as a gift during Dasara and Diwali.
Rava – ½ cup [I used the fine variety]
Granulated White Sugar – 1/3 cup
Melted Ghee – 5 tbsp
Cardamom Pods – 3 [Crushed]
Cashew nuts – 5[Broken into small pieces]
Raisins – 6
- Take a dry blender jar and powder the granulated white sugar along with the cardamom pods.
- Heat a kadai on medium flame, Add 1 tbsp of ghee to it, once the ghee is hot, add the broken cashews and raisins into it and fry for few mins until it turns golden brown
- Transfer the cashews and raisins into a separate bowl, in the same kadai add the rava and sauté until it turns light brown and waft with aroma
- Now mix the rava well with the cashew, raisin, sugar, cardamom and add the remaining ghee to the mixture
- Hold the mixture in the palm, start forming round shapes by pressing them between palms [You can slightly grease your palm with ghee]
- The round shape would form only if the laddoo’s are made when the mixture is not too dry.
- Make medium sized balls and store them in an air tight container.
- Both fine and coarse variety of rava can be used, while using the coarser variety make sure to blend it in a mixer to make it finer before making the laddoo’s
- Powdered sugar/Cardamom can be used instead of Granulated White Sugar and cardamom pods
- Sometimes for a change I use chopped almonds, walnuts and dates instead of cashew and raisin directly without frying them in ghee
- If you have problems forming the round shape, sprinkle some milk over the mixture and try to form the shape but adding milk reduces the shelf life to two days.