Nutritionist and dietician speak a lot about the health benefits of adding coconut to our daily diet as it is rich in “Medium chain Fatty Acids” or as they call it as “Good Fats” which is one of the most important nutrient for our body. We South Indians can proudly say that we have been following a tradition of including coconut in our diet on a daily basis even before these researches had started. It is the easiest form of seasoning we add to enhance the flavor of a dish.
So here I have written down an easy chutney which goes well with rice, roti, idli, dosa …… almost everything. This is my husband’s favorite chutney to go with rice so I make this every week and he finishes the bowl before I could click picture so today I decided to make this chutney just to take a picture and update it on my blog So do not mind the amateur clicks as I could not charge my camera and had to take pictures using my phone 🙂
Grated Coconut – 1/2 cup
Coconut oil – 1 tsp
Urad Dhal – 3 tsp
Red chillies – 3
Hing – 1/2 tsp
A small Piece of Tamarind
Salt – To taste
- Heat 1 tsp of coconut oil in a small pan, once the oil is hot, add urad dhal, broken red chillies.
- Fry for few mins until the dhal and chillies are roasted well and turns brown
- Switch off the flame, add hing and tamarind to it [The heat of the oil is enough to soften the tamarind]
- Add scraped fresh coconut or dry grated coconut in a mixer jar and add the seasoning/Tadka to it
- Add salt to taste and grind it into a coarse mixture[ Add as little water as possible]
- Serve this on the side with steaming hot rice with a drizzle of ghee.
- Both fresh and dry coconut works for this recipe and I have used dry grated coconut from local Indian grocery store
- Do not grind the coconut for a long time, just pulse it few times, if not the oil oozes from the coconut and makes the chutney goey
- Red chillies can be replaced with Green Chillies as well but do not use chill powder, trust me I have tried, it doesn’t taste good
- The seasoning I have mentioned can be adjusted as per your taste, this is just my personal preference
- Since coconut is used, the shelf life of this dish is less do not store for more than a day